Quote

"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." ~ Isaac Asimov

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday


Good morning, everyone! Hope y'all are having a fantastic Super Bowl Sunday! Who's ready for some football?? LOL Personally, I'm just ready for the commercials! ;) Unfortunately, I don't read a lot of sports related books so I can't have another themed post. Today is going to be random, some books I've enjoyed and some I have yet to enjoy! I hope you will enjoy them, too!

I killed a girl last night. I did it with my bare hands and an old piece of pipe I found lying next to the dumpster. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that scared me, the part I can’t seem to wrap my head around and still has me reeling, was that when she charged me, her body shifted – and then she was a wolf. All snapping teeth and extended claws. But by the time I stood over her lifeless body, she was a girl again. That’s about the time I went into shock… And that was the moment he showed up. 

Now, all I can do is accept the truths that are staring me in the face. One, Werewolves do exist. And Two, I was born to kill them.     ~blurb from Goodreads

“C’mon Tara, you didn’t even give tonight a fair chance,” George said. His blue eyes were a mixture of pleading and irritation. I returned the pool stick to the rack on the wall and tried to think of a fair answer before I turned to face him again. I was careful to keep my voice down; the tiny pool hall was pretty crowded for a Tuesday night. The smoky haze that hung permanently in the dimly lit air gave the illusion of privacy around our corner table, but I noticed the couple next to us was already glancing over, trying to look like they weren’t listening. “George, you were an hour late picking me up because you were working on a press release with your agent.” I stepped closer. “Your agent,” I repeated, shaking my head. “Seriously. You haven’t even graduated yet, much less secured a scholarship. Why do you even need an agent?”

~ Heather Hildenbrand (2011). Dirty Blood. Accendo Press.  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition  Smashwords

What happens when your son turns homicidal overnight and your husband disappears on his way to work? Do you cower in fear or fight for your life? Madison Wescott fights against the odds. Distrustful of a God she doesn’t believe in, she finds herself face-to-face with a world she didn’t know existed and discovers her own soul is darkened with demonic connections.

With good intentions? Or by demonic design?

Phoenix Birmingham bursts into Madison’s life in a whirlwind of sarcasm and sexual appeal. A hero for the masses—and for her jaded heart—but few will ever know the sacrifices he has made or the sacrifices to come. Discovering her entire life has been influenced by multifaceted paranormal beings, Madison is determined to defeat the apocalyptic blueprint fate has decreed, but only one man dares to challenge the supernatural forces manipulating them. Even with Phoenix’s aid, can destiny be denied? Or will demonic design prevail while they pay the crucial price with their souls?

In a small, sleepy Alabama town the battle for mankind’s liberty has begun...    ~ blurb from Goodreads

“What?” Madison Wescott said with a mixture of disbelief and irritation. She considered her son, Amos, and adamant denial surged in the form of a pounding headache. She’d come to the doctor for answers and this screwed-up diagnosis was what she got? “Ms. Wescott, all the tests came back normal.” The doctor scratched his chin. The idea of him being intrigued over her son’s dilemma pissed her off. She forced aside the urge to whack him with her purse. “Everything except the anomaly with his blood.”

~ Gracen Miller (2011). Pandora's Box. Decadent Publishing Company.  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition  

Natalia Moore is the new girl at Santa Anna Prep, and all she wants to do is fly under the radar -- get to her classes, meet a few friends, and try not to make a total fool of herself in the meantime. But when handsome and popular Campbell Elliot goes out of his way to be nice to the new girl, Natalia's plan to go unnoticed flies out the window. 

Cam's hot, but he's completely off-limits. Raine Marsden, the most popular and meanest girl in school, has had her eye on him ever since the summer. And Raine doesn't like competition. 

When Cam goes as far as inviting Natalia to the exclusive weekend party at Raine's house, Raine sets her sights on a new victim. But what Natalia doesn't know is that Raine and her friends are no ordinary mean girls. They have powers most people can only dream of, and nobody will stand in the way of what they want. And what Raine wants is Campbell. 

The Witches of Santa Anna series of novellas, proves just how far true love will go and that nothing--not even pure evil--can change your destiny.   ~ blurb from Goodreads

Here's how my first day of school at Santa Anna is supposed to go: 1. I will cruise effortlessly through the halls, never once getting lost, misplacing my schedule, or embarrassing myself in any way. 2. I will meet a boy who will fall madly in love with me. (Think Edward from Twilight, but without that whole weird there’s-a-vampire-staring-at-me-while-I-sleep thing. So I guess think Robert Pattison. Which would actually be perfect, since I’m English. Well, sort of.

~ Lauren Barnholdt; Aaron Gorvine (2011). The Witches Of Santa Anna (Books 1-7). Kindle Edition  Nook Edition 

It's October and the month that Alexa Jackson will turn sixteen. Most teens are anxious for this milestone to arrive, but for Lexi it will bring more than just a driver's license. It will throw her straight into the dangerous world of vampires, but not without a twist. Lexi will not be bitten once, but rather have her family's true heritage revealed and her identity transformed from a normal, outcast teen into a vampeen. Being an overly analytical girl, Lexi will question and answer the science of vampires and vampeens all while on a collision course with her destiny - Kellan.   ~ blurb from Goodreads

I'd always wondered if the myths were true. Who got it right; who didn't? Were most recent Hollywood portrayals correct? Were all vampires gorgeous, pale specimens to be swooned over? Did they all have the same eye color and choice of human or animal blood for survival? Did they sparkle in the sun or were they prohibited from soaking up its rays due to a fire hazard?

~ Christin Lovell (2011). Diary of a Vampeen (Vamp Chronicles).  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition  Smashwords  (this is a FREE title!)

Twelve year old Lissie is the apple of her parents eye and she can do no wrong. But, after committing a terrible deed in order to attend her parents ball, she finds herself at the mercy of a vampire consumed by guilt.brbrVampire law dictates that the turning of children is strictly forbidden. It's a crime punishable by death for both master and child. But does Lissie have something that might make her worth saving after all? 
"Lissie" is a short story inspired by a character from the upcoming novel "The Violet Line". ~ blurb from Goodreads

Staring out the window, Elisabeth watched the ladies in evening gowns and the gentlemen in their dress coats as they hurried past. Her parents had already left for the night to attend yet another high society gathering. Every evening was the same and Elisabeth could feel the ennui creeping over her. Being the only child of London’s most sought after socialite couple had its ups and downs. Constantly being left behind whilst they danced and chattered the night away was one such down, she often observed. Glancing away from the street her eye caught sight of the birdcage in a corner.

~ Bilinda Ní Siodacaín (2011). Lissie.  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition  Smashwords  (this is a FREE title!)

Happy Reading, everyone!
EM





No comments:

Post a Comment