Quote

"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." ~ Isaac Asimov

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday

Good morning and welcome once again to Six Sentence Sunday, a weekly meme where I introduce you to new (-to-you) books and tell you where you can buy them. In my intro, I will give you the cover, the blurb and the first six sentences of each novel. if it interests you, please go to the buy links and pick it up! As always, if there is a book I haven't found that you would like included, just tell me about it in the comments below. And as always, thanks for joining me today! Let's get to it!

Welcome to the big leagues. To secrets and scandals. It's all about the game. Who's playing. Who's not. Who has no idea about the game. And...wait, what game are we playing?
I'll leave that for you to decide.

Chloe: Where to start is the big question. How do I explain to Zack that I started a fan club for him when I was a kid? It was just a game. A way to make friends and have fun. I never thought it would spiral out of control. And never. In a million, gazilaon years, did I think it would follow me to college. How do I tell him my best friend Lana kept the club alive? That I had nothing to do with the craziness? Because I'm finished playing those stupid games.
But I don't understand why I care so much about Zack's freaking opinion of me. I hate him. He hates me. We have very mutual feelings of dislike for each other. So he'll just hate me even more when or if he finds out. 
And that's totally fine...I think.

Zack: I have a soft spot for Chloe There I said it. I like Chloe Baker. I like the way she walks. I like the way she talks. If I was poetically inclined, I'd write a sonnet about her ass. But I'm not, and if the guys on the baseball team found out, they'd never let me live that down. 
It's my junior year of college. I've got things to worry about. Scouts from the major leagues. Baseball games. Contracts. Grades....my father ran away to Vegas with Chloe's mother. I don't have time to worry about a girl. But I do. I worry about Chloe a lot. Especially with that asshole Max sniffing around her. It's weird though, to like your stepsister, right?
But I could argue that I saw Chloe first. Way before Max. And way before my dad met her mom. I was too young to stake a claim. But I'm getting to the point where I could give a flying fu....well, I just don't care. I'm done playing games. 




Under the fragrant limbs of a magnolia tree an unofficial meeting was held. The meeting’s subject matter was nothing related to science. It was dedicated to one person, a special person, or so the attendee’s thought. I knew the truth, that the meeting was a waste of time and a show of stupidity. From my seat high in the bleachers I watched, feeling like an outsider. I haven’t been to an unofficial meeting since the fifth grade, the day I wised up, and now it was nearing spring break of my freshman year of college. It’s been a long time. Sometimes I think it hasn’t been long enough.


~ J.C. Isabella  (2011). The Unofficial Zack Warren Fan Club.  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition  Smashwords

When fifteen-year-old Sonya Garrison is accepted into the prestigious Bridgeton Academy, she soon discovers that rich girls are just as dangerous as the thugs in her home of Venton Heights...maybe more so. After catching the eye of the star white basketball player and unwittingly becoming the most popular girl in school, she earns the hatred of the three most ruthless and vindictive girls at Bridgeton. Can she defeat the reigning high school royalty? Or will they succeed in ruining her lifelong dream of becoming a world class dancer? 

"Every student who has faced this honor council has been found guilty and expelled," Headmaster Collins said from behind the judge's bench of Dardem Hall. Though I knew the expulsion rate of Bridgeton Academy, I prayed the outcome of my own honor trial would be different. I mean, innocence had to account for something, right? I felt like everyone in the world was staring at me. Probably because they were. The five members of the honor council, which included my sister Sasha, sat in the middle of the stage waiting for my explanation of events.


~ Leslie DuBois (2011). The Queen Bee of Bridgeton. Little Prince Publishing.  Kindle Edition   Nook Edition  Smashwords 


After being hurt in a relationship herself, Rachel starts a website that allows girls from her town log on and 'review' guys they've dated. A gorgeous guy walks into the animal shelter where she works and she vows not to fall for him until she's looked him up on her website. Unfortunately for her, her website is offline today because she's gone with a cheap service provider, (hey the shelter doesn't pay very much ok). 



“Edna! Sit! Oh gosh, please don’t…. pee on the floor. Errr! I quit!” Edna blinks sleepily at me. “Ok, no I’m not actually going to quit baby, I’m sorry I said that; come here.” I step around the puddle of dog pee and snuggle against Edna’s wiry coat, breathing in her scent. I’m not sure how she always smells like baby powder since a. she’s a dog, and b. she lives at the animal shelter where I work.


~ Katie Aleo; FreeDigitalPhotos, Photostock (2011). Trust Me (A Teen Romance).  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition

At the age of 15, Taylor Beauforte has only met her father twice in person. After all, he is the lead singer of a world-famous rock band, constantly on the cover of music magazines and giving interviews on MTV. He pays for Taylor to attend the Treadwell Academy, a prestigious boarding school in Massachusetts, and provides her mother with monthly checks to cover her basic needs, but has never made much of an effort to play an active part in Taylor’s life. Taylor's mom Dawn is the only family she has ever really known, and because of Dawn's hard-partying Hollywood lifestyle, studious Taylor is happiest on the other side of the country in Massachusetts with her nose buried in a book. 
When Taylor 's mom unexpectedly dies the summer before Taylor starts her junior year, she receives a crash course in fame. She has no choice but to join her father and his new family on their summer concert tour before she has even had a chance to mourn the loss of her mother. Life as the daughter of a rock star seems like it would be enviable, but Taylor can't figure her dad out. He seems like a supportive authority figure (even if he's kind of a fashion tragedy) , but she is collecting a growing pile of evidence that he's a liar and a cheat. Her stepmother, Jill, can’t seem to decide if she wants to treat Taylor like a girlfriend or a nuisance. Having had no time to grieve and say goodbye to her childhood before being thrust into the limelight, Taylor is suddenly finding herself in situations she could have never imagined before this summer. 
With no one else to turn to, Taylor falls head over heels in love with Jake, the teenage son of one of the band's touring groupies. Taylor has growing concerns about Jake's background and the suspicious relationship between his mom and her own father, but is desperate for something real in her life onto which she can build a future. When Jake offers Taylor an opportunity to join him on a whirlwind adventure and leave her problems with her father far behind, Taylor has to decide – should she carve out her own way in the world, or try to repair the relationship she has with her only living parent? 
Over the course of the summer with the band, Taylor learns the depths of her own strength, the difficulty of overcoming loss, and that the definition of family means much more than shared bloodlines. 



I don't remember much about the first three weeks of the summer my mom died. I suppose those weeks passed in the same way most previous summers did before the year I was fifteen; my mom picked me up at L.A.X in her Benz, I totally pigged out on food I wasn't allowed to have during the school year at Treadwell Preparatory Academy, lounged around by the pool with my best friend Allison, and endlessly hoped for a few moments alone with her older brother Todd, who I wanted to fall in love with me.  My mom would have been around, I'm sure, occasionally asking me to help her with her suntan lotion or walk over to Larchmont Village to get her a coffee smoothie. For the most part my mom was somewhat of a shadow in my summer days even before the accident. Allison, who I've known since I was in kindergarten, used to say my mom was a periphery character. She was always in the background, usually nursing a hangover. There were a few summers when she was recovering from plastic surgery, padding around the house in a robe with her swollen face bandaged.  On weekend nights she would appear in my bedroom doorway wearing an obscenely short or low-cut dress and ask me how she looked. "Embarrassing" was never the answer I gave her.


~ Caitlyn Duffy (2011). The Rock Star's Daughter. Lovestruck Literary.  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition  Smashwords  THIS IS A VERY GOOD FREE TITLE!!


Thirteen year old Kaley’s best friend Jules is an alien clone. That has to be it. Because Jules wouldn’t dress like that or act like that…and she definitely wouldn’t be friends with Meg-a-bitch. 

Kaley can't wait to start at her new school with her best friend Jules. Jules was away in Europe all summer (worst summer of Kaley's life!) But it's cool, now school is starting and everything is going to be awesome. However as the school bus pulls up on that first day, Kaley barely recognizes the silky hair and glossy lips as Jules gets off with the cool kids and with their arch-nemesis Meg, the popular girl (God only knows why) who made Kaley and Jules's lives miserable in elementary school. In Europe, Meg had somehow won over Kaley's best friend and Kaley finds herself frozen out. 

LIFE WAS COOL UNTIL YOU GOT POPULAR is a first person MG told through Kaley’s eyes, chronicling the initial pain and incomprehension of what happened to destroy their friendship. But that doesn't last long. Kaley decides that underneath the bleached blond clone with the personality transplant, Jules is still in there. Somewhere. And she is going to get her best friend back! 




I stood by the school gate at Cromwell Prep, feeling weird in the maroon and white uniform. Over the past two years at Malcolm MacGregor Middle I’d gotten used to blue, white and yellow. It’s not like I had a whole lot of school pride or would go and watch any of the team sports I wasn’t forced to, but blue, white and yellow sort of…I dunno, it became part of my identity. So even though all the other kids were wearing the same colors, I felt completely conspicuous in maroon and white. Especially with my stiff, scratchy jumper, pristine blazer and school dress practically down to my ankles. Mom said I’d grow into it, but really – what am I supposed to do in the meantime?


~ Sarah Billington (2011). Life Was Cool Until You Got Popular.  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition  Smashwords (this book is currently on a special holiday 99cent discount until March 20)


There you have it, folks. I hope you've found some awesome new reads! :)


Happy Reading!
EM 





No comments:

Post a Comment