Quote

"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." ~ Isaac Asimov

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday


Good morning, everyone, and welcome back for another edition of Six Sentence Sunday, where I feature books I've read or want to read and tell you where to buy them. :)

Devi knows she shouldn’t trust the new employee at her favorite used bookstore. Sure, he’s funny, smart and hands down the sexiest guy she’s ever met, but something dark lurks behind his unassuming smile and sinful green eyes. 

Still, a girl can’t always afford to be picky. When an angel abducts your twin brother it should come as no surprise that the one person who can help you get him back is a demon–and only if you’re willing to pay his price.




The two of us used to reenact The Snow Queen in the woods behind our house. We’d begin by lying on the lawn, and his cool fingers would squeeze my hand until my eyelids grew heavy and my breathing slowed. Then he would let go. “Where are you going?” I’d call out as I grabbed his ankles, causing him to stumble when he tried to stand. “Stop,” he’d tell me. “I don’t love you anymore. I love my queen.” He didn’t want to say such things, he didn’t even like the game, but I loved it and so he indulged me.

~ Katherine Pine (2011). After Eden (Fallen Angels, Book 1)  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition  Smashwords

 At an ethereal exclusive boarding school with unearthly beautiful students, Lux, a rebel girl, has been seeing demons and angels since she was two while Asher, the bad boy on a motorcycle, sketches angel. Brax Kingsley instantly captures Lux's eyes when she moves into the neighborhood. All are part of the puzzle behind the Beautiful Beings. 



A wave of warmth, scented with cinnamon, entered the still darkness of my room.  As I sat up in bed, it tickled my nostrils and brought me to a state of semi-consciousness; aware I was in my room, but with the distant knowledge that I wasn’t fully awake. In the corner, between my clutter-filled dresser and my half-opened window, I saw his shadow. He’d come again, dark, silent and mysterious as he stood waiting for me to acknowledge him. I should have been filled with fear and the desire to scream out for help. My body should have reacted swiftly to the intrusion, shooting out of bed and clambering to find the comfort of my parents’ room.  But I felt safe and longed for him to stay.


~ Kailin Gow (2011). Beautiful Beings (Beautiful Beings #1) theEDGEbooks.com.  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition


Savannah Henderson, 17, is lonely. An only child of always busy and never at home doctor/scientist parents, Savannah struggles with Attention Deficit Disorder, struggles in school, and struggles for the approval of her unapproachable and disapproving parents. Athletically, however, she is practically unmatched, having mastered the art of Kendo (The Way of the Sword) as a child, then moving on to saber fencing. Physical activity calms her mind, a perfect channel for her A.D.D. She dreams of becoming the next Olympic gold medalist. 

Savannah is introduced to a new fencing coach, Aaron Sloan. Unbeknownst to her, Aaron is not only a “finisher of fencers,” but is also Alpha of a shapeshifter pack, protector of the human species, ensuring their survival against those ancient enemies, werewolves.

Thrust into this impossible world, Savannah's life becomes intertwined with the shapeshifters as she is targeted by werewolves and drawn into their war. Under the protection of the close-knit Sloans, she finds excitement and danger, as well as family and a sense of belonging, something she'd never had before. She also finds romance with Luke, Aaron's son.




"Fence!" Sweat poured down my face and I blinked the stinging moisture out of my eyes. My sword arm shook; the negligible weight of the saber notwithstanding. The protective gear was heavy and stifling; the drag from the body cord alone threatened to pull me down. I was too slow to establish right-of-way and my opponent took it, coming at me in a flying lunge. I sped backward, almost off the end of the strip before parrying high outside, then coming back with a cut to the right shoulder.


~ Gabrielle Blue (2010). Children of the Lost Moon.  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition  Smashwords


Venna Greer is a witch suffering from a case of magic-induced amnesia, making her think she's a normal girl. She lives in the sleepy town of Capeside, Virginia, with her foster parents and girl-crazy younger brother. Venna is secretly in love with her best friend, Henry Langley, and has a decision to make: tell him her feelings or not? But what she doesn't know is that Henry has a secret of his own. 

Henry Langley is a warlock, and his parents are members of the Council that rule the magical world. He's having a difficult time deciding which to confess to Venna first: his love, the fact that he knows who she is, or that they are on the brink of a war with the potential to expose them to humans. 

Time is running out. Venna is thrust into a new world. A world she once belonged to, and war that has more to do with her than anyone ever imagined.




The darkened hallway stretched out like a lazy black river. I listened to the sound of my footfalls echoing off the marble floors, wondering if other men who’d walked this path before me felt half of my trepidation, or the immense amount of excitement coursing though my veins. I stopped on the threshold of an open doorway at the end of the hall, trying to imagine the next thousand years of my life. I was excited of course, about to enter into a world I’d been groomed for. Since I was a kid I’d dreamt of attending one of the important meetings held in this very room. Now that I’d turned eighteen, I’d finally “officially” be part of it.


~ J.C. Isabella (2012). The Council, A Witch's Memory.  Kindle Edition  Smashwords


Peyton Giles’s world is turned upside down when she learns that everyone in her life and in her school is much more than they appear, she most of all. Peyton is the one person in all of time and history powerful enough to bring peace to the darkness and to the light. Not knowing that her powers could kill her, however, Peyton nearly loses her life only to have her brother’s best friend save it. Drawn to him in ways she can’t explain, Trace is the one person that she literally can’t live without. Her soul is tethered to her world through her connection to him. Without it, she will die. 

For the most part, Trace Kramer has always steered clear of his best friend’s sister. Until now. He never would’ve expected that Peyton would hold his life and his future in her hands the way she’s always held his heart. But she does. 

Peyton and Trace soon learn that love and fate aren’t easier than duty and destiny, at least not when you’re being hunted. Together, they are more powerful than any other creature on the planet—and more valuable—but apart, neither can survive to fight for freedom, for the only life they’ve ever known and for the lives of everyone they’ve ever met. 

Their need for one another is undeniable. Their love for one another is irresistible. But can it endure all that they must suffer?




I was standing with my back to the door, talking to Lacey Roberts, one of my closest friends, when I felt two big, warm hands wrap playfully around my throat from behind. “Tell me where your brother is and I might let you live,” the deep voice whispered threateningly into my right ear.  It sent a pleasant shower of cold chills dancing down my right arm. I couldn’t stop the broad smile that I felt curving my lips.  It was a knee-jerk reaction to Trace, my brother’s best friend and my most long-standing crush. Rather than turning or pulling away, I enjoyed the contact with Trace for the briefest of moments before I answered.  At that point, I simply turned in his grasp until I could meet his eyes.


~ M. Leighton (2012). Gravity (The Eclipse Series, Book 1 of 2). M. Leighton Books.  Kindle Edition  Nook Edition  


There you have it! I hope you've found something great to read!


Happy Reading!
EM





No comments:

Post a Comment