Quote

"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." ~ Isaac Asimov

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Writerly Wednesday - Writing.com


Hello, all! Welcome to another week of Writerly Wednesday, a weekly meme I created to talk about everything writerly, whether it's what's happening in my own journey to published stardom, to introduce you to something or someone fascinating, or to share my (limited) wisdom on writing. This week, I want to introduce you to a website I found when I first decided to get serious about being a writer...


Here's what they have to say for themselves: Writing.Com, the premier online community for writers of all interests and skill levels, has been going strong since 2000. We provide an extremely creative environment for authors, offering hundreds of unique writing tools and opportunities for creation and inspiration.
Whether you are a writer looking for the perfect place to store and display your masterpieces or a reader willing to offer feedback for our writers and their work, this is the website for you. No other website services the writing world better than we do!
I first joined Writing.com in January of 2008. I joined because I wanted to feel a part of a writing community, and that's exactly what I found there. I tried my hand at a few contests and even won a couple, one short story Romance Valentine's Day contest and another one, from Bard's Hall, where the theme was St. Patrick's Day. I also participated in a 1000 word daily flash fiction contest for quite a few months. Entering those contests helped me hone my craft in that I had to be more economical with my word choices. The highest word count limit was just 4000 words. That's quite a difference from the 50k+ word novels I'd been writing. :-)
In October of 2008, I stumbled upon The Witch's Circle Halloween contest. One of the prompts was to write a short story that included werewolves, vampires, ghosts, goblins, and a couple other creatures (pretty much, any creature popular at the time). That prompt sparked my first YA paranormal novel, Losing Control, which included werewolves, vampires and a ghost haunting an ancestral home. :-)
If you don't feel like writing and sharing anything, hang out on the site and read a bit. There are interactive stories where you get to pick which way the story goes next. There's poetry, word searches, madlibs and polls to take. There's a lot to do and it's a great way to practice your craft and meet a few fun people along the way!
Happy Writing (or Reading)!
EM
**While you can search for Losing Control and it shows available to order on Amazon and probably other places, this title has been taken out of production for re-editing. I will let everyone know as soon as it is available once again.**

No comments:

Post a Comment